They say no one makes vaccines anymore. Well a new report by PhRMA, says there are currently 271 in development -- all in human clinical trials or under FDA review. The vaccines are aimed at infectious diseases (137), cancer (99), allergies (15), neurological disorders (10), and others (13) -- actually if you add that up it's 274 (don't want math majors writing to me about inability to add). I just report on the report.
Some of the products that were highlighted in the report include some exciting stuff:
- Vaccine for malaria shown in early trials to prevent transmission from mosquitoes to humans
- Live, attentuated cervical cancer vaccine for treatment of woman who already have HPV caused disease
- mAb vaccine against both pandemic and severe seasonal flu A
- Combination pancreatic cancer vaccine to boost enhanced tumor specific T-cell and anti-tumor responses
- nanoparticle vaccine that helps you stop smoking
The study also reports on the 204 active clinical trials. Sponsors are recruiting for an additional 107 trials if you have a hankering to volunteer. See PharmaTimes.
Posted by Bruce Lehr Sep 16th 2013.