Fierce Biotech also reported today on the state of FDA aprovals to date. Namely, there have only been 13 novel approvals YTD in 2013 which is way behind (seemingly) the 39 new drugs approved by the agency last year. But.....there were only 14 drugs approved by the FDA at this point last year, therefore the whopping majority were approved in the latter half of the year -- and this is apparently normal.
So, we still have to wait until the full year's results are in before we can judge whether 2013 was another good year or a not so good year for new drugs. Of the 13 drugs approved so far in 2013, here are the top 5 based on analysts estimates (do we hang our hat on that?) of their future sales in 2018:
- Tecfidere (multiple sclerosis) $4.2 B - Biogen Idec
- Kadcyla (breast cancer) $2.9 B - Roche
- Breo Ellipta (COPD) $1.8 B - GSK
- Pomalyst (multiple myeloma) $1.3 B - Celgene
- Nesina (diabetes) $1.1 B - Takeda
Posted by Bruce Lehr Aug 5th 2013