In 2012, we've seen our share of big Phase III flame outs, as high profile drug programs have failed utterly in meeting their clinical endpoints. Many of these were being conducted by companies counting on the success of these projects to fill in flagging sales due to recent patent expiration of blockbusters. They also were trying to make their mark in lucrative therapeutic categories that have few good alternatives now.
Fierce Biotech lays out its TOP 5 failures in 2012:
- Bristol-Myers Squibb's BMS-094 for hepatitis C
- J&J and Pfizer's Bapineuzumab for Alzheimer's
- Eli Lilly's Solanezumab for Alzheimer's
- Roche's Dalcetrib for cholesterol management
- AstraZeneca's TC-5214 for depression
In 2012, all of these hit an ice berg. Fierce listed them in descending order of magnitude of disaster but maybe you have additional nominees or a different order? Feel free to comment or reorder to your desire. Drug development though remains a tough business.
Posted by Bruce Lehr Oct 4th 2012.