The Cell Culture Dish reprinted data from Nature Biotechnology that lists the top 10 selling biological drugs in 2011. It also indicates that 7 of the top 10 drugs are produced in CHO cells, 2 in E. coli, and 1 in mouse myeloma. So despite reports that more clinical development progams may be working with systems other than CHO -- particularly a resurgence in prokaryotic systems -- the dominant sellers are still in CHO and will remain so in the foreseeable future.
The TOP 10 follows:
- Humira, $7.93 B, CHO, Abbott
- Enbrel, $7.36 B, CHO, Amgen
- Rituxan, $6.77 B, CHO, Biogen Idec
- Remicade, $6.75 B, myeloma, J&J
- Avastin, $5.98 B, CHO, Roche
- Herceptin, $5.92 B, CHO Roche
- Neulasta, $3.95 B, E. coli, Amgen
- Lucentis, $3.76 B, E. coli, Roche
- Avonex, $2.68 B, CHO, Biogen Idec
- Rebif, $2.35 B, CHO, Merck
That's all folks!
Posted by Bruce Lehr Nov 14th 2012.