According to PharmTech Talk approvals in EMA in 2011 look much rosier than the picture seen at the end of 2010 -- and this may give us hope that this will continue in 2012 and beyond. Let's look at the numbers.
2010 Jan - Dec
- positive opinions 51
- finalized marketing authorization applications 54
- finalized new drug applications 21
- finalized new orphan drug applications 6
2011 Jan - Sep
- positive opinions 74
- finalized marketing authorization applications 79
- finalized new drug applications 32
- finalized new orphan drug applications 11
There seems to be a pretty substantial increase in authorizations even when comparing a partial year 2011 to a full [dismal] year in 2010 - which coudl be interpreted as a sign of hope for the industry in 2012.
Posted by Bruce Lehr Nov 11th 2011.