From the BioJobBlog this morning, a report from Frost & Sullivan outlines the state of the vaccine market on a global basis. The report notes that vaccines, once a moribund market, have experienced a large turnaround and now represents growth opportunity over at least the next 10 years.
Some salient facts that can be considered for this market:
- Pediatric vaccines lead adult vaccine sales and are the fastest growing segment
- Europe produces more than 90% of the total vaccine production
- The top 5 Big Pharma manufacturers produce more than 80% of vaccine revenues and 40 manufacturers account for the other 20%
- North America accounts for more than 50% of the global vaccine spend
- Growing middle class in Latin America, Asia, and Africa will fuel market growth
- There are 80 new candidates in late stage clinical development and 40% of new vaccine candidates are for indications with NO exisiting vaccine on the market
As pediatric vaccines are the leading growers -- aimed at diseases like pneumococcal disease, rotavirus, measles, H. influenza b, pertusis and tetanus -- one can expect governments in emerging markets to continue to add exisiting and new vaccines to government-mandated vaccine programs (as promoted by orgs like WHO or the Gates Foundation). Clearly, this is one of the most cost effective treatments in existence with almost incalculable benefits to patient well-being and to society.
Government investment, not-for-profit spending and industry alliances/partnerships, in addition to private R&D spending, are helping to drive the current resurgence of the global vaccine industry.
Posted by Bruce Lehr May 18th 2011.