Today. we have a recipe for good luck in the New Year -- black-eyed peas. This one comes from Lucy Buffet's (yes, Jimmy's sister) restaurant called Lulu's in Homeport Marina in Gulf Shores, Alabama. It is rather whimsically called - LA (lower Alabama) Caviar.
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 (15-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup each - chopped green bell pepper, yellow bell pepper and red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- Saltine crackers or tortila chips, optional
- Make dressing by combining vinegar, oil, sugar, salt and pepper in a jar. Close and shake vigorously to dissolve sugar.
- Place balck-eyed peas in a large glass bowl. Add tomatoes, bell peppers, onion and parsley.
- Pour dressing over pea mixture; toss well to combine. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours to overnight.
- Serve as side dish or with crackers or tortilla chips as an appetizer
Yield: 20 to 25 appetizer or 8 side-dish servings. Cut down recipe if you want less.
Happy New Year - remember eating this will bring you luck!
Posted by Bruce Lehr December 29th 2010.